Family Law & Divorce


Trust us to guide you through this challenging journey with care and professionalism.
Our legal experts ensure your children’s well-being remains the top priority throughout every stage of your family law journey.

Why seek legal advice

Facing family-related issues can be overwhelming, but seeking legal advice from HK Law can make all the difference. Here’s why you should choose us:

  • Expert Guidance
  • Legal Protection: Ensure your rights and your children's well-being are protected
  • Child Arrangements: Secure certainty and finality with Child Arrangements Orders
  • Financial Clarity: We help you navigate financial matters, ensuring your children's needs are met
  • Emotional Support
Play Video about Children matters video
Family lawyer Dorset

Why choose HK Law?

Our experience, accreditations, and commitment to resolving your family law issues make us your ideal choice. Trust us to guide you through this challenging journey with care and professionalism.

At HK Law, we’re your trusted family law partner for a reason.

  • Accreditations: HK Law is accredited by leading legal institutions
  • Dedicated Team: Our team is committed to protecting your family's interests
  • Experience: Decades of experience in family law
  • Transparent Fees: Clear, transparent fee structures.
Hayley Coyne HK Law

Your questions answered

Hayley Coyne, Chartered Legal Executive
  • Does a Mother and Father have equal parental responsibility?
    All those with parental responsibility have equal parental responsibility meaning that neither parent has a greater or superior claim to parental rights or responsibilities than the other.
  • How does a parent have parental responsibility?
    Whether an individual has parental responsibility depends on whether you are the Mother or Father. A Mother has parental responsibility automatically. Whether a Father has automatic parental responsibility depends on his relationship to the Mother. If the Father is married to the Mother then, he will have equal parental responsibility. In the case of cohabiting couples, a Father has equal parental responsibility if, he is named on the birth certificate. There are other ways for a unmarried Father to have parental responsibility which, can be discussed with us.
  • What does parental responsibility mean?
    Parental responsibilities are the rights and responsibilities that a parent of a child has. If you have parental responsibility you have a right to be included in decisions being made about the child including, their education and health.
  • What happens when one parent wants to relocate with the children?
    Proposed relocations should be reasonable and well-thought-out. All those with parental responsibility have to agree to the relocation. If an agreement is not reached between the parties then, an application may have to be made to the Court for, the Court to consider the relocation of the child.
  • What is Parental Alienation?
    Parental Alienation is a situation where one parent manipulates the child, causing estrangement from the other parent. It can occur during relationships or separations and may involve false allegations during court proceedings.
  • What is considered by the Court when the Court considers the child arrangements for my child(ren)?
    The Court’s paramount consideration is the welfare of the child(ren). When considering matters, the court have to have regard to: the child’s wishes and feelings (in light of their age), their physical, emotional and educational needs, the affect on the child of any change in circumstances, the age, sex, background and characteristics of the child, any harm the child is at risk of suffering and, how capable each parent is at meeting a child’s needs.
  • Can I change my children's surname?
    Changing your children's surname before they reach the age of 18, is possible with the consent of all those with parental responsibility for the child or through a court order.
  • What child arrangement rights do I have?
    Neither parent has an automatic entitlement to have the primary care of a child upon separation. Both parents have equal parental rights. If an agreement cannot be reached as to what arrangements there should be, the court may have to decide on the best arrangements for the children.

By Darren Francis, Associate Solicitor

Find a Family Law & Divorce expert in your area

HK Law Blandford office


The newest of the HK Law offices and proud to service the people and businesses of Blandford and the surrounding area.

HK Law Bournemouth office


Our Bournemouth Solicitors, based at our office in Southbourne, are here to support you with all the personal and business legal needs.

Somerset Solicitors


HK Law’s history in Crewkerne dates back to 1749, making it the longest standing solicitors firm in the country.

HK Law Blandford office


With offices at 40 High West Street and 1 Colliton Walk, our expert team provides a comprehensive range of legal services to the people of Dorchester and surrounding areas.

HK Law Parkstone office


Our Parkstone solicitors, based in the heart of Ashley Cross, are here to offer you expert local legal advice.

Poole Solicitors


Our HK Law team in Poole assist local clients with their legal requirements.  Local to you, we are always on-hand to meet up whenever it suits you.

HK Law Swanage office


HK Law have held a strong presence in Swanage for generations. When it comes to client care, we pride ourselves on a modern approach backed up by traditional values.

HK Law Wareham office


Wareham is the office from which HK evolved. Today our Wareham office prides itself on offering the town a full range of legal services whilst keeping things simple and personal.

Our Children team

Associate FCILEX

Managing Partner

Chartered Legal Executive

Private Client Executive


Conveyancing Executive



Associate Solicitor