Roses are red, violets are blue…
Divorce statistics show that, aside from September, the beginning of the year is one of the most popular times to file for divorce. Based on this, our Bournemouth divorce solicitors have researched some of the most interesting and lesser known facts surrounding the process.
- The most married man in Britain has been married 8 times.
- 42% of marriages end in divorce in England and Wales. Britain has the highest divorce rate in the EU.
- Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women.
- 25.4% of married men and 18.3% of married women have been unfaithful at least once.
- 70% of British marriages are Civil Ceremonies
- The phrase “rule of thumb”’ is derived from an old English Law which stated that you couldn’t beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb!
- The “Seven Year Itch” is real! Couples are more likely to divorce around the 7th year of marriage. Once couples reach their 25th wedding anniversary, chances of divorce fall to less than 1% per year.
- A law passed in 1585 making it illegal for women to “cause a nuisance with abusive or argumentative language”. A woman guilty of scolding had to wear a scold’s bridle, or a metal cage, enclosing her head. The Criminal Law Act of 1967 finally abolished the punishment, and women may now scold freely!
- Contrary to belief, there is no legal recognition of “common law husband and wife” meaning that people who live together have no rights if their relationship ends.
- The most popular place to get a civil partnership in 2013 was Brighton.
To enquire about divorce, please contact Humphries Kirk solicitor in all offices including Bournemouth, Crewkerne and Poole.