Dealing with Trespassers or Squatters

Dealing with Trespassers or Squatters

The Reverend Mike Hall hit the headlines last winter after he successfully reclaimed possession of his home (which had been sold by identity thieves) only to find when he returned to his property that squatters had moved in. More recently, the Guardian reported an increase in squatting alongside the lack of affordable housing.

So, what can you do if someone enters your property or land without your consent? Michelle Dixon, a Partner in the property litigation team with HK Law, explains what your options are if someone squats or trespasses on your property or land and outlines the rights and defences that squatters and trespassers could have.

What is squatting?

Squatting, formally referred to as ‘adverse possession’, is when somebody intentionally enters your property or land and occupies it without your consent.

Squatting in a residential property, such as a house or an apartment, is against the law and can result in a six-month jail term and a £5,000 fine for the perpetrators.

Please get in touch with Michelle promptly if there are squatters on your property or land.

How can you evict squatters?

If squatters have taken over your property or land, you need to follow a legal process to get them out. Do not try and eject them yourself using force or threats, as this would be breaking the law.

Our solicitors can apply to the court for an interim possession order or make a claim for possession.

An interim possession order is only an option if it has been 28 days or less since you discovered that squatters have moved into your property or land. The timescale for action is tight, so contact us as soon as possible.

After being served with the interim possession order, the squatters can be jailed if they do not vacate the property within 24 hours and stay away from your property for a year.

To get final possession of the property or land, our solicitors will need to make a claim for possession. If it has been more than 28 days since you found out about the squatters or if you want our solicitors to also make a claim for any damage caused by the squatters, you cannot use an interim possession order and our solicitors will use the ordinary claim for possession procedure instead.

If the squatters refuse to vacate the property or land after you have obtained a possession order, our solicitors can apply for a warrant for possession to instruct bailiffs to evict them or obtain a writ to require a High Court Enforcement Officer to get the squatters out.

Please note, if you rent your property to someone and they stop paying the rent, this does not amount to squatting. However, if this is your issue, please get in touch with Michelle for this too.

What if squatters go unnoticed?

If a squatter, or a succession of squatters, continuously lives in your property or on your land for 10 years (12 years for an unregistered property) without your consent and you took no steps to object and assert ownership, the squatter(s) can apply to become the registered owner of your property or land.

If you receive any indication of this or receive notice from the H M Land Registry you should promptly get in touch with Michelle as there are strict time limits to register a valid objection. If you do not act in time, and the squatters reapply for ownership (which they are allowed to do after two years), you will not be allowed to object again.

What is trespass?

Trespass to land has been defined by the courts as unjustifiable interference with land which is in the immediate and exclusive possession of another. You do not have to be the legal owner to have ‘possession’ of land; it means whoever has the right to occupy or physically control the land.

Although squatting is a form of trespass and is a criminal offence if it is done on a residential property, there are other forms of trespass which are not actually illegal but which could become a serious problem and would require you to take civil action to make the perpetrators stop.

  • This could include:
  • people dumping rubbish on your land (including fly-tippers) or allowing noxious substances to enter your land;
  • someone encroaching on your land for their own use, such as moving their fence onto your garden;
  • something overhanging your property, such as eaves;
  • somebody exceeding the permission you gave them for the use of the land, such as staying on your property beyond the hours that you have specified or using a piece of land which is not part of the licence you granted.

What are your legal options if someone is trespassing on your property?

If someone is trespassing on your property or land and you cannot persuade them to stop, you can take legal action in the courts to claim damages, an injunction, or both.

To successfully gain an injunction, it is necessary to show that the person you accuse of trespassing is using or possessing your land.

An injunction may not be granted if the court feels that the trespass is trivial. Similarly, any damages you are awarded may only be nominal if there has been little or no damage caused by the trespass.

If the trespasser has caused physical damage to your property or land, the compensation you receive could cover the reduction in value of your land, rather than the price of restoration.

If the trespasser has taken over the land completely and you cannot gain entry, you can bring a possession claim as well as a claim for any loss you have suffered while your land was occupied by the trespasser and for any damage they have caused. If this is your issue, please get in touch with Michelle.

What defences are available to trespassers?

An alleged trespasser may have a defence for entering your land if they can show that:

  • you gave them express permission to use the land (either written or verbal);
  • they had a legal right of way over the land – for example, an easement;
  • your land has a public right of way running through it;
  • it was necessary to enter the land – for example, for police officers to carry out their lawful duty; or
  • where a neighbour needs to carry out repairs and makes a successful application for an access order under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 (this would only be granted by the court if you would not suffer unreasonable hardship or disturbance).

How we can help

If someone is using your land without your authorisation and you want them stopped, you should consult our experienced property litigators without delay. Michelle Dixon can advise you of the best course of action, negotiate with the offending party to try and get the matter resolved without resorting to court action, or take all the necessary legal steps to help you reclaim the use of your property and land through the courts, if required.

For further information, please contact Michelle Dixon in the property litigation team on 01202 725405 or email HK Law has offices in BournemouthBlandfordCrewkerneDorchesterParkstonePooleSwanage, and Wareham.

Let's talk

If you require further information or legal advice, please contact us


Find out how Humphries Kirk can assist you in many personal legal issues. Click the category you need more information on and get in touch.

We value your privacy
We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, and analyze our traffic. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to our use of cookies. For more information please see our privacy policy.

Employment Law for you

Find out how Humphries Kirk can assist you in many personal legal issues. Click the category you need more information on and get in touch.